Standard Definition of Software Testing:
Software Testing Definition according to ANSI/IEEE 1059 standard – A process of analyzing a software to detect the differences between existing and required conditions (i.e., defects) and to evaluate the features of the software item.
Types of Software Testing
There are various types of software testing techniques distinguished on the basis of the type of software at hand and the requirements for which it has to be tested. If you’re looking for software testing services you can head over to our BugEspy Software Testing Services Page. BugEspy has an experienced team of professionals to handle all types of software testing services.
Functional types of Software testing
- Unit testing focuses on the smallest unit of software design.
- In this type of testing individual unit groups are tested.
- It is mostly done by programmers by using sample input and observing its corresponding outputs.
Tool Used for Unit Testing:
xUnit.net is the most commonly used unit testing tool.
- It is a free, open-source, community-focused unit testing tool for .Net framework.
- These frameworks derive their structure and functionality from Smalltalk’s SUnit. Following its introduction in Smalltalk, the framework was ported to Java and it gained wide popularity.
- Works with CodeRush, TestDriven.NET,
- ReSharper and Xamarin.
- It is part of the ASP.NET Open Source Gallery under the Outercurve Foundation and is licensed under Apache 2(an OSI approved license).
- The objective of integration testing is to take unit testing components and build a program structure that has been dictated by the design
- In integration testing, a group of components is combined to produce output.
- Integration testing is of four types
- (i)Top-down, (ii) Bottom-up, (iii) Sandwich, (iv) Big-Bang
Tool Used for Integration Testing:
VectorCAST/C++ is the most popular tool for both unit and integration testing.
- Integration testing component5s are combined and verified that all integrated modules are working properly as a full combination.
- Vector CAST/C++ tool is used bt developers who are creating their embedded software using C++ programming.
- It is used to streamline the test procedure and used to automate unit and integration testing.
- It validates the safety and business-critical embedded systems.
- The test solution provided by VectorCAST/C++ is widely used in financial industries, medical devices, industrial controls, railways.
- In regression testing, every time the new module is added leads to change in the program.
- This type of testing makes sure that the whole component works properly even after adding components to the complete program.
Tool Used for Regression Testing:
Ranorex Studio shortens the regression testing cycles and it is widely used.
- Reliable object identification even for web elements with dynamic IDs.
- Shareable object repository and reusable code modules for efficient test creation and reduced maintenance.
- Data-driven and keyword-driven testing.
- Customizable test report with video reporting of test execution.
- Run tests in parallel or distribute them on a selenium Grid with built-in Selenium Webdriver support.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Travis CI and more.
- Smoke testing is done to make sure that software testing is ready or stable for further testing.
- The reason it is called a smoke test is that an initial pass is done to check if it did not catch the fire or smoke in the initial switch on.
Tool Used for Smoke Testing:
There are various tools used for smoke testing. These tools are developed in such a way that the testing is done in an automated way.
Selenium and Phantom JS are the most commonly used tools for smoke testing.
· Alpha testing is a kind of validator.
- Alpha testing is a kind of validation testing
- This testing is done and it an acceptance testing that is completed before releasing the software to customers.
- It is usually done by QA people.
Tool Used for Alpha Testing:
Selenium is the software when it comes to automated testing.
- To use selenium effectively users must possess advanced programming skills.
- This is also the main drawback of its software testing tool.
- The beta test is conducted at customer sites by the end-user of the software
- This version is released for the limited number of users for testing in a real-time environment.
Tool Used for Beta Testing:
UserTesting gives access to videos of real-world users interacting with the app.
- UserTesting is a beta testing tool that can be used at any stage of the development phase of your software or application.
- It narrowly focuses on the specified tasks.
- UserTesting has a huge pool of users.
- System testing tests the software in such a way that it works for different operating systems.
- The focus is on the required input and output without focusing on internal working.
Tools used for system testing:
Apache JMeter is an open-source testing tool.
- This tool makes sure that the software runs on all platforms without any errors.
- It analyses the performance of a system or an application.
- During this testing, unfavorable conditions are provided to the system and it is checked how it performs in such a situation.
Tool Used for Stress Testing:
LoadComplete is used for stress testing.
- Load testing for .NET and Java apps.
- It generates various levels of traffic without requiring code inputs.
- Test options available for IE, Chrome, and Firefox.
- Provides checks for both secure and non-secure traffic.
- Performance testing is designed to test the run time performance of software within the context of an integrated system.
- It is used to test the speed and effectiveness of a program that is developed.
Tools of Performance Testing:
LoadNinja allows the load tests and reduces time by half.
- LoadNinja also replaces load emulators with real browsers and it gets more actionable.
- It empowers teams to increase their test coverage.