Selenium Integrated Development Environment IDE is a simple tool in the suite of Selenium. Firefox add-on creates testing quickly by its record-&-playback function. This function is like QTP. It is easy to install & simple to learn.
Selenium IDE shell is only used as a proto-typing tool because it is easy to use, and doesn’t require a complete solution to perform complex testing.
Autocomplete mode is supported by selenium IDE when testing. We get two benefits from this feature:
- It assists the tester in entering commands quickly.
- It limits its users from entering wrong commands.
Selenium IDE Features
It is at the top portion of the Selenium IDE. The commonly utilized menus are Option, Edit, and File menus.
- It holds functions to Open, Close, Create, and Save a test.
- The test is saved in the format of HTML.
- The export option allows us to turn Selenium IDE testing in a format of the file that runs on both Selenium WebDriver as well as Remote Control.
- The option of the “Export Test Case…” would export just the currently open test case.
- “Export Test Suite…” would export all testing cases in that presently opened testing suite.
- As Selenium IDE v1.9.1, testing cases could export just in these following formats:
- .cs (C#)
- .java (Java)
- .py (Python)
- .rb (Ruby)
- It comprises of usual options as Select All, Delete, Paste, Copy, Cut, Undo, and Redo.
- “Insert New Command” & “Insert New Comment” are two important features.
- The newly insert command/comment would be kept on top of the line that is presently selected.
- Commands are usually colored black.
- Comments are usually colored purple.
- Options menu
- We get an interface in Selenium IDE for the configuring of various settings.
Like, when we select WebDriver/JUnit 4/Java as our format, every command of selenium we copy from the editor of Selenium IDE’s would be pasted as a Java code.
You could launch the Selenium IDE dialog box by clicking on Options and then Options… on its menu bar. Although there are a lot of settings there, we deal with a few significant ones.
Default Timeout Value.
It refers to that time, Selenium needs to wait for some certain element to become reachable before it makes a bug or error.
Extensions of Selenium IDE.
This option is where we stipulate the extensions we need to use in expanding the capabilities of Selenium IDE’s. You could head on to http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and type “Selenium” to search all the particular extensions.
Recall base URL.
Keep it checked if someone needs Selenium IDE to recall the Base URL all the time to launch it. If someone unchecks it, Selenium IDE would always run along with a new blank value for Base URL.
- If we select that option, Selenium IDE directly records actions on the startup of the browser.
- A dropdown menu that recalls all preceding values for simple access.
- The Selenium command “open” would take us to that URL we specified in a Base URL.
Playback Speed controls the speed execution of our Test Script.
The record starts or ends our recording period. We enter every action of the browser as a Selenium command in the editor.
Play a complete testing suite, it would serially play all the testing cases in the pane of Test Case.
Play currently testing, plays the presently selected testing case.
Pause or Resume would pause/resume the playback.
The step button allows us to step into every command.
Rollup rules allow us to group Selenium commands altogether to execute them in one action.
Test Case bar
- In Selenium IDE, one could open an additional test case at one time.
- It displays a complete list of presently opened testing cases.
- The testing case in bold font is the presently selected case
- Afterward playback, each testing case is color-coded to characterize if it is passed/failed.
- Green color indicates “Passed.”
- Red color indicates “Failed.”
- At the bottom part is the detail of the numbers of testing cases that are running and failed.
You could picture the editor as a place where all the actions operate. It is available in 2 views:
- Table View
- Source View
- Mostly, you would work on the Selenium IDE by utilizing the Table View.
- You can modify and create Selenium commands here.
- All steps will be color-coded after playback.
- In order to create steps, you need to type the command’s name in the Command box.
- Shows the steps in the format of HTML.
- It also lets us edit our script like in Table View.